Discovering Healthstones: A Handy Addition to Your Dabbing Arsenal
As dab enthusiasts, we’re always looking for ways to improve and upgrade our dab rig setups. From terp pearls that help distribute heat evenly in our nails to quartz inserts that enable low-temp dabbing and keep our glass rigs pristine, there’s always room for innovation. However, one accessory that often goes unnoticed is the trusty healthstone.
Introduced in 2010 by Aqualab Technologies in sunny California, healthstones have since captivated dabbers worldwide. With their porous nature providing a unique filtration effect, healthstones allow us to enjoy dabs in a fresh and exciting manner.
What are healthstones?
Contrary to what their name suggests, using healthstones won’t miraculously improve your health. Rather, healthstone dabs can last longer and are perfect for on-the-go adventures. Healthstones consist of two parts: the carbon vapor stone, which resembles a brillo pad or pumice stone, and the accompanying pipe or vapor slide bowl specifically designed to fit the vapor stone. The stone is made of an inert material that doesn’t emit any harmful vapors, while the healthstone bowl is crafted from thick, tempered glass.
Why choose healthstones?
You might be wondering why healthstones have gained such popularity. Their appeal lies in their ease of use, convenience, and portability. Standalone healthstone pipes are much smaller than traditional dab rigs, making them perfect for travel. Instead of lugging around your massive rig when hanging out with friends, simply grab your healthstone pipe and get ready for some impressive clouds and flavorful dabs.
Additionally, the carbon stone’s low heat retention allows the concentrate to vaporize more slowly than when heated on a dab nail. This means you can enjoy a more leisurely dabbing experience with less re-heating required. And since healthstones’ inert material doesn’t release any harmful vapors, the taste of your dab remains unaltered. It’s worth noting that most dab nail materials, such as titanium, quartz, and ceramic, are also inert.
How to use healthstones
Using a healthstone is incredibly simple and user-friendly. Just follow these steps to enjoy a smooth and satisfying dabbing experience:
- Place the healthstone into the specially designed bowl or pipe.
- Apply a small amount of concentrate directly onto the healthstone’s porous surface.
- Heat the concentrate using a torch lighter, keeping the flame a short distance away from the healthstone. The concentrate will start to melt and vaporize within the stone’s pores.
- Inhale gently through the pipe or rig while continuing to heat the concentrate until it’s fully vaporized.
How to clean health stones
Before cleaning your healthstone, it’s important to remove the stone from the healthstone bowl. To do this, heat the stone for a few seconds and tap it out onto a dab mat or another heat-resistant material. If it gets stuck, feel free to use a dabber or poker to wedge it out.
Cleaning healthstones is quite similar to cleaning other glass pieces. Here’s a step-by-step guide on cleaning all the components of healthstones:
- Mix an isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt solution in a resealable bag. This bag will be used to clean the glass bowl/vapor slide bowl. Add some isopropyl alcohol into a small container big enough to fit the stone in.
- Drop the healthstone in the container with isopropyl alcohol. Make sure there’s enough of the solution to cover the entire stone. Drop the glass piece into the resealable bag in the isopropyl alcohol and salt solution.
- Shake the bag vigorously to dislodge any residue.
- Leave the bag and bowl soaking overnight or for a few hours; the longer the better. Stones can be left to soak in the container for a couple of hours.
- Rinse your stone in warm water.
- Leave the stone out to dry on a towel for at least 30 minutes.
7. Remove the glass healthstone bowl from the bag, rinse, and dry.
Choosing the right healthstone
Healthstones can cost anywhere from $20 to $30 per stone. You can purchase stones in various pack options to get them at a lower price individually. Vapor stones can last a year or longer, depending on your frequency of use. When the stone is hindering your dabs, it’s time to switch it out and put in a new one.
Final tips and tricks on healthstones
Healthstones don’t work very well with liquid concentrates. Because of the porous nature of vapor stones, liquid concentrate can end up falling through the stone and sticking to the inside of your healthstone pipe. Those are wasted dabs that you can’t enjoy. The best extracts for healthstones are shatter, wax, crumble, hash, and kief. Additionally, because you’re seeping dabs into the stone, you may end up with a mix of flavors from the dabs you’ve consumed.
While healthstones may not be user-friendly for new dabbers, they are an exciting and no-fuss way to take a dab at home or while you’re in the great outdoors. Seasoned dabbers should consider investing in a healthstone piece to incorporate into their smoke sessions. As we always say, the more dab accessories, the merrier!